[Rumori] Illegal Art appropriated

Vicki Bennett peoplelikeus at mistral.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 12:19:57 PDT 2003

I agree that it legitimises something... ANYTHING... to put it in a
gallery, or a bank, or...

My question would be does this art stop being interesting once it's
taken out of context, ie out of the gallery/later seen as no longer
immoral or illegitimate.  Certainly stuff like Tim Maloney's Little
Mermaid will always be interesting, because it has many contexts to
it, it will still be around when everyone has forgotten that
appropriation was once legally questionable.

The name Illegal Art is just one more tag to put on something to
focus people's attention.  What's the point in wasting good publicity
with an indirect name.  It's the only reason I don't throw up when
someone asks me to do an event called "Plunderphilia" or similar.
How else are you going to get non-insiders through the door.

And yes - ?? - absolutely.

Vicki