[Rumori] Scion marketing /collage in daily living

Paul Smith postalscale at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 15:08:53 PDT 2003

--- Steev Hise <steev at detritus.net> wrote:

> new car from toyota with "cool" ad copy that
> appropriates
> appropriation.

 Or perhaps that's backwards.  Just as visual collage
was around long before the audio variety, "automotive
collage", though no one ever thought to call it that,
has been the norm for the past 90 years or so.
Customized cars are chockablock with parts from other
vehicles and occasionally other transporation systems
[the turboshaft-powered motorcycle, for example].  Is
your '92 Honda Civic with an Acura engine, Porshe
brake calipers and dozens of little items from other
Hondas not even sold in the country you live in really
a '92 Honda Civic anymore?  It's now unique, and
differentiated from the Civics Honda that made itself.
  That the automotive world and the underground art
world never crossed paths on this topic before is no
giant surprise.   The Scion copy below, from a purely
automotive persective, is meant to convey to very
young potential car buyers that car customization has
been around for a long, long time.

=====
"a poem a day keeps Geraldo away"

        [The Georgia Review, Spring 1993]