[Rumori] Graffiti Artists, Billboard vandalism and other illegal art (fwd)

Steev Hise steev at detritus.net
Wed Jun 18 15:08:56 PDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:11:46 -0400
From: Sonia Katyal <skatyal at MAIL.LAWNET.FORDHAM.EDU>
To: rumori-owner at detritus.net
Subject: Graffiti Artists, Billboard vandalism and other illegal art

Hi Rumori owner--I was wondering if you could cut and paste this
and send it onto the list?  I've been a list member for a while,
but for some reason my email keeps bouncing back to me when I try
to post.  thanks so much,

skk

Hi everyone,

I've never posted to this list, but have been a member for a
while and have really enjoyed some of the discussions that have
circulated here.  By way of introduction, I'm a law professor at
Fordham Law School in New York City, where I teach intellectual
property and property.

This summer, I am working on a project that involves studying
(mostly) guerrilla art--I'm specifically interested in graffiti
art, and groups that deface billboard advertising.  I'm
particularly interested in hearing about artists who actively
alter the image and property of corporations (as opposed to those
who recreate parodic representations).  A good example would be
the Billboard Liberation Front in San Francisco, but I'm sure
that there are others.

Towards that end, I wondered if you might be able to suggest some
visual artists/activists who I could interview, or
articles/books, websites that talk about vandalism, graffiti, or
alterations of existing corporate images.  I'd like to be able to
draw on as many examples of this work as I can, and integrate the
work of these artists in my research.

thanks so much, in advance, for all of your help!

best,

sonia k.

>>> <rumori-owner at detritus.net> 06/17/03 14:01 PM >>>
You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
rumori-ownerdetritus.net.