[Rumori] Illegal Art opens in San Francisco Wed. July 2

Carrie McLaren carrie at stayfreemagazine.org
Mon Jun 23 23:13:42 PDT 2003

Hi, here's some spam for the list. I'll be flying out for the opening
next week; hope to see some of you all there!

- - - - - -

Illegal Art, Stay Free!'s copyright-busting art exhibit, will be in
San Francisco July 2 - 25. We've added some  new artists this go
'round: DAVID BYRNE, TOM SACHS, ENRIQUE CHAGOYA, and LAURA SPLAN.

Also, the film screenings now include the excellent documentary
WILLFUL INFRINGEMENT, a primer on copyright violation featuring
Negativland, Public Enemy, Lawrence Lessig, the (fake) Rolling
Stones, and more:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/sf.html
http://www.willfulinfringement.com

Details, details:

SF MOMA Artist Gallery, July 2 to 25 (Fort Mason, Building A).
Reception:  Wednesday, July 2nd, 5:30 to 7:30 pm. With DJ Bridle
(Wobbly) and Mr. Merides
Gallery hours: Tuesdays through Saturdays 11:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Panel Discussion:

Thursday, July 3, from 6 to 8pm. With Lawrence Lessig (Stanford Law
Professor), Carrie McLaren, (Stay Free! magazine), Kembrew McLeod
(artist and University of Iowa professor), Rick Prelinger (Prelinger
Archives), Simon Frankel (lawyer, Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk
& Rabkin), and Marcia Tanner (moderator). At San Francisco Art
Institute, Lecture Hall, 800 Chestnut Street. 415.771.7020

Film screenings:

Wednesday, July 23 and Thursday, July 24. Roxie Cinema (3117 16th
St., at corner of Valencia Street). Tickets available at the door for
$8 general, $4 seniors and children. Schedule is online at:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/sf.html

Music performance I:

Evolution Control Committee (tentative)
Michael Gendreu (from Crawling with Tarts)
RAJAR
Wednesday, July 9, 8 p.m.
21 Grand, 449B 23rd Street (between Broadway and Telegraph) in Oakland
Sliding scale donation of $5-$10 at the door

Music performance II:

Wetgate, Wobbly, Steev Hise, Mr. Meridies
Wednesday, July 16, 8 p.m.
A LOFT, 25A McLea Court (off 9th Street), San Francisco
Sliding scale donation of $5-$10 at the door

A plea for cash

We are eagerly seeking donations to help pull this off. Anything you
can contribute would be very much appreciated. With luck, we will be
able to bring Illegal Art into other cities:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=carrie%40illegal-art.org&item_name=Illegal+Art+donations&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD