[Rumori] author of cnn parody site repeatedly harrassed over "infringement"

Brian Flemming vagrant at slumdance.com
Fri Nov 14 11:05:53 PST 2003

Boy, this guy got a raw deal.

Way back in 2001, to promote a movie I made called "Nothing So
Strange," the web team created a fake CNN story about the Bill Gates
assassination, complete with a faked URL that made it look like it was
at CNN's site. A mirror, slightly altered, is here...

http://mirrors.meepzorp.com/bill-gates-murder/

Then some hacker reproduced the story in a way that put whatever the
current day's date was on the story (this is no longer up), and that
hack actually fooled enough South Korean journalists to cause a 1.5%
drop in the South Korean stock market...

Because of that, the web folks (GMD Studios) got a call from someone
associated with the U.S. Department of Energy, which for some reason
tracks hoaxes...

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHackedHistory.shtml#gatesdead

And STILL they never heard from CNN. Not so much as an annoyed email.
Nothing.

They also haven't heard from MSNBC...

http://[email protected]/1999/news/837268.html

or the L.A. Times...

http://[email protected]/news/front/20000420/t000012986.html

So a student who really doesn't want any trouble gets confronted with
complaints, while the movie promotion that could actually use a little
publicity-generating trouble doesn't.

Brian