[Rumori] Exemptions to Circumvention Technologies
pl1x at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 10:08:17 PST 2003
maybe it's just the morning but "exemptions from the prohibition against" sounds double negativie to me.
On October 28, 2003, the Librarian of Congress, on the recommendation of the Register of Copyrights, announced the classes of works subject to the exemption from the prohibition against circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works. The four classes of works exempted are:
(1) Compilations consisting of lists of Internet locations blocked by commercially marketed filtering software applications that are intended to prevent access to domains, websites or portions of websites, but not including lists of Internet locations blocked by software applications that operate exclusively to protect against damage to a computer or computer network or lists of Internet locations blocked by software applications that operate exclusively to prevent receipt of email.
(2) Computer programs protected by dongles that prevent access due to malfunction or damage and which are obsolete.
(3) Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.
(4) Literary works distributed in ebook format when all existing ebook editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling of the ebook's read-aloud function and that prevent the enabling of screen readers to render the text into a specialized format.
Definitions. (1) âInternet locationsâ are defined to include domains, uniform resource locators (URLs), numeric IP addresses or any combination thereof.
(3) âObsoleteâ shall mean âno longer manufactured or reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.â
(3) âSpecialized format,â âdigital textâ and âauthorized entitiesâ shall have the same meaning as in 17 U.S.C. Â§121.
These exemptions will remain in effect through October 27, 2006.
Since it's obsolete, here's a remake of an old video game classic to match a 9 month old news cycle:
More information about the Rumori