[Rumori] mp3 audio streaming

{ brad brace } bbrace at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 29 20:36:09 PDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Pan wrote:

> On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 09:42 PM, { brad brace } wrote:
> > I'd appreciate a synopsis of audio-streaming options... I've
> > been looking at Shoutcast as a means of distributing some
> > lengthy, mysterious field-recordings... Is that a good
> > choice?  Shoutcast seems to usually have about 14,000
> > stations online,

oops, that should be about 4,000

> > most of which have zero listeners most of
> > the time...
>
> A couple questions to start:
>
> 1. What are the length of these recordings?

I'll have about 30 gb worth of mp3s at any one time. Each
recording is about 20-80 minutes long. One is several hours
long...

> 2. Do you want to play things at a specific time? or 24/7?

24/7

> 3. Will you loop a playlist of files? or have a live broadcast at any
> point?

Most likely a (changing) looped playlist.

I enjoyed a station from Ellensberg WA last night which
mixed live scanner (police, emergency services...) input
with recordings. http://12.144.250.230:8000 (offline
right now)

> 4. What bandwidth to you want the recordings to stream at?

I'm hoping 24k bps will suffice.

> You could provide the streams yourself via shoutcast. Yeah, there are a
> lot of stations without listeners, however, that's how anyone gets
> started. The key at that point is promotion. Tell everyone you know,
> set up a site for people to reference, etc.
>
> You can reflect to other "stations" who can help promote you:

Not sure what this means... similar to cuseeme?

> We're trying to get a fledgling station going here at SRN. Right now,
> we've only got 4 DJ's and are just building our "promotion machine".
> You're welcome here. Field Recordings sound cool and would fit into our
> Burroughs-eque approach to radio.

OK; thanks.

> There's also Radio Freedom if you want something more established. Dave
> Dixon posted a message earlier today with their  URL. There are many
> more out there. Actually, I'm surprised Steev hasn't gotten into it.

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project                >>>> since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://  (your-site-here!)
+ + +     continuous         hotline://artlyin.ftr.va.com.au
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

News:  alt.binaries.pictures.12hr   alt.binaries.pictures.misc
               alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.misc    alt.12hr

. 12hr email
subscriptions => http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/buy-into.html

.  Other  |  Mirror: http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
Projects  |  Reverse Solidus: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/