[Rumori] U B U W E B :: New Resources Fall 2003

UbuWeb ubuweb at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 15:13:47 PDT 2004

Well, our policy on UbuWeb is that if it's out of print, it's fair game for us to post.
We rarely ask permission -- if we did, we wouldn't have a collection nearly as large as
we do. Most times, however, artists who find their out of print work on UbuWeb are
thrilled that it's presented with great care, in a sympathetic context; most times, they
offer us more work for the site. However every once in a while there is an artist who
doesn't wish for her work to appear on UbuWeb. Always, without question, we take the
files down immediately. But we feel it's worth the few hours investment in scanning or
ripping for the usual payoff of hosting the work.

We don't put anything up that's currently in print -- we don't wish to take whatever
small profits folks might make (or break even, hopefully at least) in releasing sound
poetry, experimental music, etc. For example, when Charles Amirkhanian recently
rereleased the 12+2 sound poetry comp, we immediately took our LP rip down. We weren't
asked, but thought it was the right thing to do. (Anyway, Amirkhanian's online activities
with his KPFA shows on archive.org have been inspiring, to say the least).

Oddly enough, all the c&d's have come from radical artists rooted in 60s ideals. Rick,
they seem to be the ones who have the most trouble with new distribution / sharing, tho
one might assume from their practice (at least their practice of several decades ago)
that certain aspects of their utopian distributive / dematerialization-of-the-object
vision has become realized.

Other c&d's recently have been from 60s artists: Larry Austin, for example, recently
demanded that we take down long out of print, very hard to find 10" LPs from SOURCE
magazine (the most important experimental music mag from the 60s). The Canadians have
surprisingly been awful about his: Steve McCaffery insisted that the 4 Horsemen material
(that he gave us) be taken down; Paul Dutton also regarding his own work; and Richard
Truhlar from Owen Sound wanted work taken down (not only his, but everything from the
Carnivocal compilation).

The next to go, I'm sure, will be a bootleg edition of La Monte Young's selected writings
that we have just OCR'd and posted. It's from 1969, goes for insane prices when you can
find it for sale. Grab it now, before it disappears from the site...

Kenny