[Rumori] THE KNITTING  FACTORY/INSTINCT/EVOLVER RECORDS  BOYCOTT

Ed Special edspecial at digitalrealm.net
Fri Dec 10 17:15:35 PST 2004

THE KNITTING  FACTORY/INSTINCT/EVOLVER RECORDS  BOYCOTT

In the last few months the Evolver label and its parent label Instinct,
the folks who bought the KNITTING FACTORY clubs & label, have reissued
a dozen of the Knit & Shimmy back catalogue items - Sex Mob, Hasidic
New Wave, Cuong Vu, Daniel Johnston... Yet many artists have not been
paid for their past royalties!

Furthermore, thousands of previously pressed Knit and Shimmy Disc
[Kramer's label which was "acquired" by the Knit before itself being
bought by Instinct] CDs were destroyed [summer 2003] leaving many
former Knit artists frustrated and angry.

***
Here are some very telling  testimonials:

Catherine Jauniaux : I am Tom Cora's widow and the sole legal
administrator, executor, and, along with my 10 year old son Elia Corra,
inheritor of his estate. This CD* , "It's a Brand New Day Tom Cora Live
at the Knitting Factory", was released in 2000, two years after Tom's
death in 1998. However, I never signed any agreements or contracts
regarding this CD. Nor have I received any payments for it. I've
received no sales or royalty statements.
[*The proceeds from this disc were to benefit Cora's family;  Bruce Lee
Gallanter donated the tapes from his archive for this project]

John Zorn: I produced the Cora tribute "It's a Brand New Day"...all the
musicians involved generously agreed to donate both their music and
their artist royalties to Tom's surviving family....i.e.
Catherine...[it's] a shame so many cds get destroyed instead of giving
or selling them to the artists...what a waste! and an ultimate comment
on what they really think of the product they make...

Judith Ren-Lay: I released an album on Instinct over ten years ago
called "Sub Dub" and have yet to receive any royalty statements.

Raz Mesinai: My contract says that I get my master back if the
recording goes out of print. The record is out of print as far as I can
tell, yet they claim it's not and won't return the rights to my master.

Matt Moran: When I asked to buy copies of my CD in order to sell them
at gigs, they claimed they couldn't seem to find any. Then I discover
they have given the music to EMusic as a free download!

Rebecca Moore: It has been several years now of total confusion. I had
been working with the previous label management to establish what had
happened to an entire printing of my CD, royalty-wise. A second
printing was ordered right in front of me even though my royalty
statements never reflect this. Then one day I call up to follow-thru
and there is a whole new staff running the place. At that point I set
about getting ownership of my masters, as my work was out of print and
my contract entitled me.
The current staff then held me in an email debate for WEEKS about the
definition of "out of print." Even though they had wanted to throw out
my CD's in their office-relocation, they would not just give me my
masters back. It was exasperating. Then finally they tried to get me to
sign a contract absolving them of all royalty responsibility in order
to get back one of my masters. I refused to sign, telling them the
contract I already had entitled me to get them back. It has been an
odyssey no poor, struggling musician--no musician, period--should have
to go through.

Hassan Hakmoun: I recorded with Knitting Factory in 1990. and I never
received any  $00. for 14 years

Roy Nathanson: I have two records with the Jazz Passengers and two
records with Anthony Coleman on the Knitting Factory Label (not to
mention the countless cuts put on collection samplers that I know
little or nothing about). This work was part of a vital scene that
brought some wonderful music to the city. The complete callous
disrespect shown the artists and their work by the current owners of
the label is remarkable. I retrieved copies of some of these [CDs]
completely by accident and had to pay for them although the current
regime was ready to throw them out.
This is all far beyond the lack of royalty statements. It's a matter of
criminal disrespect.

***

Downtown Music Gallery had always supported Knitting Factory recording
artists, as well as the club. Things have obviously changed.
Both the club and label originally made their reputation [under
founders Michael Dorf and Bob Appel] when luminaries such as Wayne
Horvitz, John Zorn, Elliott Sharp, Fred Frith, et al, chose this
fledgling NY performance space as their stage of choice, opening up an
entire scene that allowed a great number of creative musicians to once
again be seen and heard, creating a certain 'Downtown Music Scene'
renaissance.

At this point, a large group of former Knitting Factory recording
artists, including those above, are attempting to get back the rights
to their old Knit recordings.
Here is their email verbatim:

***