[Rumori] Transformative remixing may be "more illegal" than we think

Rick Prelinger footage at panix.com
Mon Jan 5 10:13:11 PST 2004

Jason Schultz (who wrote an excellent amicus brief in the Eldred v.
Ashcroft case) writes about how courts have frowned upon
transformative reuse of images in the visual arts.  There's a couple
of stretches in the posting, but it's interesting to see how US
courts deal with these issues in the absence of "moral rights" laws.

Moral rights laws (like they have in Europe) pose some tough
contradictions for artists.  I asked my friend Howard Besser, radical
librarian, what he thought of moral rights, and he answered:  "When
I'm in a country that doesn't  have moral rights laws, I'm for them;
when I'm somewhere that has them, I'm against them."

http://lawgeek.typepad.com/lawgeek/2004/01/zephoria_kulesh.html

Rick
--

Rick Prelinger