[Rumori] re: Songwriters Say Piracy Eats Into Their Pay

David meme david at locarecords.com
Wed Jan 7 20:19:00 PST 2004

I have been thinking about this a lot. When I buy CDs and vinyl of
unknown artists they are learning how to write music and I am giving
encouragement both in monetary and in terms of moral support. And yes
sometimes I buy real crap. But people take time to develop their skills
and sometimes they produce good songs and sometimes not. But if I only
ever bought the *good* stuff then some of the people I have been
unconsciously supporting would give up. Why would they bother as no-one
helps them to develop and they can't pay the rent. Many first albums
are real bad (Radiohead/Divine Comedy/Some Aphex is awful and so on)

I don't deny that something is happening with music and certainly the
tectonic plates of the industry are shifting but you fail to understand
that labels perform a very useful filtering process (not perfect by any
means I'll grant you) but at least it removes 90% of the crap. And some
labels are very experimental ( http://www.staticcaravan.org/ )  We need
to replace the old system which had become corrupt but the new *has* to
give musicians an income, surely!

Making music is very very very expensive to do. While we are all
waiting for the radical new business model of free music to
miraculously generate an income for musicians the reality is that the
labels are not selling enough music, they *are* dropping signed acts
left, right and centre and the quality is reduced to easy sellable,
mainstream, safe music.  Why do you think labels are merging all the
time? And musicians who cannot earn a living instead get jobs. This is
not good and not what we want, I hope?

As I have said, the choice to release free or open-source is always
there but why should anyone have the right to rip-off anyone else? That
is unethical and unnecessary. Respect for peoples choice is crucial and
in the crazed mania to sample and download whatever you like, spare a
thought for the person who wrote the track and gave you the listening
pleasure.