[Rumori] File sharing is saving the music industry - boo!err.... yay! err.....etc....

matt davignon mattdavignon at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 09:05:27 PST 2004

In San Francisco, the average price is $14.98 if you go to one of the big
indie stores, or $16.98 if you go to one of the corporate chain stores.
There has been talk that some of the major record labels might lower prices
down to around $12, but I haven't noticed it yet. (The last 3 times I bought
something I liked on MTV, I wound up hating the album, so I don't pay much
attention to the major labels anymore.)

Not sure if the same is true in the UK, but in major US cities, the buying
and selling of *used* cd's is huge. It certainly has a much bigger effect on
the market than file trading. Most of the people I know who file-traded
gradually stopped after Napster shut down.

For those who like to hear samples of a cd before buying,
www.aquariusrecords.org (a record store, not a label) has samples of most of
its records in realaudio or mp3. It's a lot of work putting those up, so I
suggest buying something from them every once in a while to thank them for
the service.