[Rumori] "Panorama Ephemera" screening

Rick Prelinger footage at panix.com
Wed Jun 2 00:22:21 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I'm going to show "Panorama Ephemera," a feature-length collage film
I recently finished, at the San Francisco Cinematheque on Sunday,
June 13 at 7:30 pm.  Please come if you can.

You can read a description, view or download it at
http://www.archive.org/movies/movies-details-db.php?collection=feature_films&collectionid=panorama_ephemera
The description also follows at the end of this email.

The screening will take place at California College of Arts, 1111
Eighth St., San Francisco.  Directions here:
http://www.cca.edu/cgi-bin/dad?record=directions&dbase=reach

For New Yorkers: I'll be showing it on 9/20 at Anthology Film Archives.

Thanks, hope to see you,

Rick

- - - - - - - - - - -

PANORAMA EPHEMERA (2004, 89:35 min., color and black and white) is a
collage of sequences drawn from a wide variety of ephemeral
(industrial, advertising, educational and amateur) films, touring the
conflicted landscapes of twentieth-century America. The films'
often-skewed visions construct an American history filled with horror
and hope, unreeling in familiar and unexpected ways.

PANORAMA EPHEMERA focuses on familiar and mythical activities and
images in America (1626-1978). Many creatures and substances that we
hardly notice because we feel so used to them take center stage,
including pigs, corn, water, telephones, fire, and rice. At first
resembling a compilation, it soon reveals itself as a journey through
the American landscape over time, and the story begins to emerge
between the sequences.

The film consists of 64 self-contained film sequences ranging from 5
seconds to 4 minutes in length arranged into a narrative. Unlike many
films made using archival footage, it's primarily a combination of
sequences rather than a collage of individual shots.

PANORAMA EPHEMERA is populated by American children, animals,
farmers, industrial workers, superheroes, pioneers heading West,
crash test dummies, and many others.

PANORAMA EPHEMERA is released under a Creative Commons
"Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike" license, and may be freely
shown, copied, or distributed according to the terms of this license
(http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/).

--

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Archives    http://www.prelinger.com
footage at panix.com

Online film collection at Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php