[Rumori] New sampling ruling?

matt davignon mattdavignon at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:50:57 PDT 2004

Is this new news? I just saw it referenced in another email on the
microsound list.

http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=43259
Home  >  News & Opinion  >  National News

Court: Pay to use song 'samples'
By Jennifer Rosinski
Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Pay up or don't play it, that's what the federal appeals court ruled
yesterday in ordering performers to compensate artists whose work they've
sampled.
     The ruling handed down in Cincinnati, Ohio, goes further than previous
lower court rulings that ordered performers to pay when they sample another
artists' work.
     This decision by a three-judge panel of the 6th Circuit Court of
Appeals ruled that it is illegal even to rip off musical snippets that no
one would recognize. The court said federal laws aimed at stopping piracy of
recordings applies to digital sampling.
     ``If you cannot pirate the whole sound recording, can you `lift' or
`sample' something less than the whole? Our answer to that question is in
the negative,'' the court said. ``Get a license or do not sample. We do not
see this as stifling creativity in any significant way.''
     Some said the decision to outlaw sampling just one note or chord may be
too restrictive for rap and hip-hop artists who often rhyme over music taken
from older recordings.
     ``It seems a little extreme to me,'' James Van Hook, dean of Belmont
University's Mike Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business, told the
Associated Press. ``When something is identifiable, that is the key.''
     The case, one of at least 800 lawsuits filed in Nashville over lifting
music snippets, centers on the NWA song ``100 Miles and Runnin' '' and its
use of a three-note guitar riff from ``Get Off Your Ass and Jam'' by '70s
funk-master George Clinton and Funkadelic.
     In the two-second sample, the guitar pitch has been lowered, and the
copied piece was ``looped'' and extended to 16 beats. The sample appears
five times in the new song.