[Rumori] Superman II Fan Edit : WB Take Down

PeterALopez pl1x at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 03:38:37 PDT 2005

Aren't public airwave broadcasts fair game?

via: http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/news/index.shtml

The Entertainment Weekly blurb
Superman II: take 2
A fan of the original gets his hands on the action.

On the eve of a new Superman movie, is it too late to tinker with an old one? Long story short: in 1977, director Richard Donner began filming Superman and Superman II simultaneously, but after the first film premiered, Donner was let go. New director Richard Lester used some of Donner's scenes for the 1981 sequel - in which Zod and his gang of evil ABBA rejects try to take over the earth - but the movie infuriated fans, who demanded Donner's vision be restored. Which is kind of was, in the 80's, when Warner Brothers put together an extended international TV version containing extra Donner footage.

Now - thanks to a team led by a man who refused to reveal his true identity to EW - that broadcast has been reconstructed from videotapes (collected from fans world-wide) and packaged into "Restored International Cut," a DVD available for free through
Superman Cinema (www.supermancinema.co.uk). "It's not about me, it's about the film," the remastering bandit
told us. "When you get down to it's core, it had a great story that even Richard Lester couldn't screw up."

But isn't this whole thing sort of, you know, illegal? "It's a violation of our copyright," responds an attorney for Warner Bros. Another Warner rep adds, "Warner Home Video is known for listening to it's fans. But taking somebody's property and doing what
you want to it and giving it away is not the way to go." No arguments from our mystery man. "We would all prefer to pay and get the footage properly," he says. "I'm really asking them to make my project obsolete."

(Website Owner)
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to preview the piece because I think there's an error in the article. Warner Bros. didn't put together the TV version, it was the Salkind company who offered the TV edit. To own a movie is a privilege, I don't want to come across as a fanboy who thinks I'm owed something but we need to be slightly aggressive to prove that there's a market for this product. I need to write more on this subject; I'll do that when I get some free time to compose an editorial.