[Rumori] %20 & Chuck D with Fine Arts Militia & Public Enemy - Meaning

Steev Hise steev at detritus.net
Wed Feb 2 08:47:37 PST 2005

Very interesting, Peter.

I've felt some ambivalence about the CC non-commercial sampling
license myself, though never articulated as well as you have.

Aren't the sampling licenses the ones that Negativland helped to
craft? I wonder what the history is of making the distinction of
the commercial and non-commercial?  and what indeed does
commercial mean?  If I'm a DJ that gets paid by a club to spin
and I re-use Chuck's mix, is that commercial?  I'm sure we could
think of other interesting borderline cases.

The thing about our culture, sadly, is that you're largely
invisible unless you're selling what you do. The non-commercial
license might be dubbed the 'stay in your bedroom' license.

I think you should start taking money for it. I wonder what
lawyers would say about this? If you start selling it, does your
re'd track "infringe" on Chuck's CC license?  Larry Lessig,
hello?

The track itself is quite nice, by the way.  I love the sample
"we're not gonna let you in unless you play by our rules."

cheers,

smh

Steev Hise |  steev at detritus.net | http://detritus.net/steev
my blog: http://steev.hise.org