[Rumori] Thrift store recordings

Squier owen_squier at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 11:24:58 PST 2005

I've been wondering--has anyone known something like
this to have actually happened? I'm certainly aware
that there have been plenty of artists (music, film,
etc) who have seen their material turn up in others'
work but can anyone relate a story of someone
completely outside whatever "scene" we're discusing
finding his/her voice, lost/found photo/ home movie
used in a stranger's artwork? I'd be interested to
hear about these encounters.

(I guess it could--does?--hapen in photogarphy (and
tv) all the time. My favorite story involves that
famous Diane Arbus photo of that dorky white kid
holding a flag and wearing a pin reading "Bomb Hanoi".
Accoring to her bio, she (or someone) got into a
discussion of her big MoMA retro with a taxi driver in
New York (at the time of the show). It turned out that
the driver didn't really "get" the show but felt
*honored* to have his image featured prominiently at
the museum--yes: it was the same dorky kid, years
later. So I've heard.)

(os)