[Rumori] Interdisciplinary Intellectual Property Symposium at U ofIowa

Sanjek, David DSanjek at BMI.com
Fri Feb 18 14:27:28 PST 2005

Kembrew, I need to double-check with the plane ticket, but two questions: are we being met at the airport and should we keep receipts on our other transportation: I'm going to have to take a car from home on Thurs. and then a bus back to NYC on Saturday.

Dave

I'll be out at home on Monday, but in the office Tues.-Wed. Needless to say, tinkering with and fixing up the essay at home.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: rumori-bounces at detritus.net [mailto:rumori-bounces at detritus.net] On Behalf Of kembrew mcleod
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:06 PM
To: Detritus discussion list.
Subject: [Rumori] Interdisciplinary Intellectual Property Symposium at U ofIowa

All events are free and open to the public, and although it's probably
too late to come to The I.C. for next week's symposium, there are other
major events happening on campus later in the semester.

For a full list of events comprising the Semester of Intellectual
Property, follow this link: http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Eporoi/SIP/index.htm

Intellectual Property: An Interdisciplinary Conversation
Sponsored by the Project on the Rhetoric of Inquiry (POROI)
February 25, 2005, 9am-4:15pm
College of Law, 4th Floor Student Lounge
University of Iowa, Iowa City

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

This one-day symposium will bring together a diverse range of scholars
and professionals who are interested in, or impacted by, intellectual
property law. Aimed at a general audience and open to the public, the
panels will consist of distinguished visiting speakers and members of
the University of Iowa community. The purpose of this symposium - which
will be held in conjunction with a special issue of Cultural Studies
co-edited UI Prof. Kembrew McLeod and Indiana University Prof. Ted
Striphas - is to help foster a meaningful and genuinely
interdisciplinary confluence of scholarly research.

In addition to panelists from across the University of Iowa, confirmed
visiting panelists include keynote speaker Siva Vaidhyanathan (New York
University, Department of Culture and Communication), Rebecca Eisenberg
(University of Michigan Law School), Adrian Johns (University of
Chicago, History), Eva Hemmungs Wirtén (Uppsala University, Sweden),
Sut Jhally (U Mass-Amherst, Communication Department and Executive
Director of Media Education Foundation), Steve Jones (University of
Illinois, Professor of Communication and Research Associate in the
Electronic Visualization Laboratory), David Sanjek (Broadcast Music
Incorporated Archives Director), Ted Striphas (Indiana University,
Department of Communication and Culture), Gil Rodman (University of
South Florida, Department of Communication), Paula Kaufman (U of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Librarian), Nelson Pavlosky
(Plaintiff in OPG v. Diebold), and John Wilbanks (Executive Director of
Science Commons).

SCHEDULE:

Coffee & Cake Reception

Opening comments by University of Iowa President David Skorton
9am - 9:30am

Panel: Open Sources, Open Access & The Commons
9:30 - 11:00am

What kinds of activities do intellectual property laws promote or
prohibit in disciplines such as computer science, library science,
genetic research, and other diverse areas of research? What are the
contours of the public domain? Of those materials that are protected by
intellectual property laws, how can we create a balance that both
secures the interests of creators and promotes free inquiry?

Kembrew McLeod (UI, Communication Studies & POROI)
-Moderator

Rebecca Eisenberg
-University of Michigan Law School
Bruce Wheaton
-University of Iowa, Director, Technology & Innovation Center
Jeff Murray
-UI, Professor of Pediatrics, Biology, Dentistry and Preventative
Medicine
Nancy Baker
-UI, University Librarian
Alberto Segre
-UI, Computer Science
Adrian Johns
-University of Chicago, History
Eva Hemmungs Wirtén
-Uppsala University, Sweden

Panel: Fair Uses
11:15am-12:45pm

How does the fair use doctrine protect free speech in a multimedia age,
and what are the limits of that protection? How does the fair use
doctrine manifest itself within various professions and areas of the
arts? How is the fair use doctrine shaped more generally? What are
defensible uses for traditional materials, and how might recent laws
alter the balance of power in digital mediums?

Merrie Snell (UI, POROI Program Associate, Iowa Writer's Workshop MFA)
-Moderator

Christina Bohannan
-UI, College of Law
Sut Jhally
-UMass-Amherst, Communication Department and Executive Director of
Media Education Foundation
John Sorensen
-Producer, PBS
Pamela Trimpe
-Curator, UI Museum of Art
David Sanjek
-Broadcast Music Incorporated Archives Director
Nelson Pavlosky
-Plaintiff in OPG v. Diebold
Siva Vaidhyanathan
-New York University, Department of Culture and Communication

Lunch
12:45 - 2:00pm

Panel: The Promises and Perils of a Licensed World
2:00 - 3:30pm

What happens when we move from selling and buying traditional materials
(CDs, print journal articles, etc.) to a system where things aren't
purchased, but licensed? How do Digital Rights Management schemes alter
social practices that center around intellectual property (for
instance, trading music, loaning books)? How can we create and manage
licensing systems that can protect commercial interests, but also
promote the transfer of knowledge in ways that stimulate innovation,
disseminate knowledge, create public benefit, promote global health
equity, and ensure reasonable access to important technologies?

Mark D. Janis (UI, College of Law)
-Moderator

Paula Kaufman
-U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Librarian
Ted Striphas
-Indiana University, Department of Communication and Culture
Gil Rodman
-University of South Florida, Department of Communication
Steve Jones
-University of Illinois, Professor of Communication and Research
Associate in the Electronic Visualization Laboratory
John Wilbanks
-Executive Director of Science Commons
Usha Balakrishnan
-University of Iowa, Director of Corporate Partnerships
Paul Greenough
-Professor of History and of Community & Behavioral Health,
Co-director, National Resource Center in International Studies,
Crossing Borders and Global Health Studies Programs

Keynote Lecture
3:30 - 4:15

Siva Vaidhyanathan, New York University, Department of Culture and
Communication
"Critical Information Studies: A Manifesto"

http://kembrew.com
***************************
kembrew mcleod
assistant professor
department of communication studies
university of iowa

home contact info:
1037 e. washington st.
iowa city, ia 52240
kembrew-mcleod at uiowa.edu
319-621-4620

"We are going to show a new side of him. The Hoff will surprise people
with his rap skills." - Ice T, about David Hasselhoff's upcoming
hip-hop album, which the rap veteran is producing._______________________________________________
Rumori mailing list
Rumori at detritus.net
older archives: http://detritus.net/contact/rumori/