R: [Rumori] Beatallica update

Nicola Battista djbatman at olografix.org
Fri Mar 4 07:04:57 PST 2005

David, please show this to your lawyers (from the Harry Fox Agency
website):

http://www.harryfox.com/public/infoFAQDigitalLicensing.jsp

"Oh no! I offered a download of me performing a cover on my website. Is
it too late for me to pay now?"

"You should immediately remove the file until it is properly licensed.
Once it is, you can make retroactive payments for the limited time that
it was up illegally."

While I still think there is the "parody" issue in this case, suppose
that we consider the songs simply as medleys of Beatles and Metallica.

I think the "injury" this publisher had was ridiculous. But if the above
part is true, I think one should go for a HFA license and pay
retroactively (probably a few hundreds of $) and then the "injury" would
disappear completely... avoiding bigger fees for copyright infringments.

see also:
http://www.harryfox.com/public/licenseeServicesDigital.jsp
http://www.harryfox.com/docs/newMediaApplication.pdf

...this of course could be considered as a "last chance" thing.

Nicola DjB