[Rumori] Re: Rumori Digest, Vol 23, Issue 5

Raymond Baal raymondbaal at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 09:14:43 PST 2005

As far as I understand the law in both UK and USA on this matter, a publisher cannot refuse a cover version provided that there's no messing with the original composition.

I suppose there could be a way to say that a thrash meta version had altered the arrangement but, generally, once you publish something, it's out there. You're allowed to collect royalties on it and stop advertisers covering it (with new lyrics) but you can't control what happens with your 'publication'.

Ray 'I think I'm right in saying' Baal

Nicola Battista wrote:

Oasis, in UK, while
allowing a lounge cover of "Wonderwall" by Mike Flowers Pops, denied
permission for a reggae cover of the same title, if I'm not wrong.
Now this type of stuff - at least in Italy - is allowed only to authors;
a publisher shouldn't allowed to say "you cannot do trash metal covers
of Beatles" just because a publisher should have no title over moral
rights. Is there anything like this in the American system?

'Contained in a transcendental idealism, X$X is only readable through its representing other which hence becomes its symbol.' Michael K, 1997