[Rumori] the future of detritus

eleven ll at detritus.net
Mon May 2 02:47:24 PDT 2005

Wiki, or community weblog. Personally, as a web user, I'm more
inclined to frequently visit a community weblog than a wiki. Part of
this is habit, but to me the form of a wiki suggests that you'd go
there to answer a certain question, when you're satisfied, you leave.
It's obvious to me that that's not how it HAS to be, but that's how I
perceive it.

With a community weblog, I'm inclined to visit frequently to see
what's happening and what people are talking about. I want to be
surprised or be told something that I wasn't aware of or even just be
entertained. I'm not drawn to the wikisphere for that.

All of that aside, though, either wiki or blog, both need community
involvement. If the community (by that I mean us) is too busy or
whatever to actually do the work of offering their information,
discoveries, and insight, then it'll never work. I think it has to be
interesting enough to be worth a visit every day. I visit boing boing
every day, even though a lot of what they post is stupid, there's
usually something there that I'm interested in pursuing further. Or
metafilter or any of a number of community web logs.