d e t r i t u s . n e t
dedicated to recycled culture
Video by Steev Hise
You can view quite a bit of my work on Vimeo.
a wide-ranging look at the wide range of work i've done, including behind and in front of the camera, as well as postproduction.
My main activity at this time is doing video work, both artistic and journalistic pieces. I produce
my own projects and also do freelance work for hire. I have the skills to shoot, write, direct, and edit (including motion graphics, color grading, and dvd authoring).
(last update: July 2014)
Major projects over the last few years:
- In 2013 I began performing live visuals with the media/collage band Negativland.
- A pilot for a TV/web series called Truth On The Line (2011).
- A 2010 update of "Wild Versus Wall", a film about the border wall I first completed in 2008, working with the Sierra Club.
- A film I shot and co-produced (2009) about War Tax Resistance was finished and is being distributed by
the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee. It's called "Death and Taxes."
- Early in 2009 I produced a series of video news segments about changes in the borderlands, funded in part by a grant from the Institute for Justice and Journalism.
- In 2006 I completed On The Edge, a feature-length documentary about the femicide in Ciudad Juarez released in 2006. The film's website is political.detritus.net/juarez.
Selected recent work-for-hire:
Selected artistic work:
View some somewhat aging but still nice demo reels. (last revision: 2009)
Older Documentary or Journalistic pieces:
- Fiesta Binacional (2007)
- A once-yearly tradition on the border in both Nacos.
- Are You Worried?
- a brief look at the mental states of Portland activists on the eve of the 2004 election.
- Tax Day 2004
- Coverage of one local group that resists paying for war.
- f15pdx, a short look at a peace march in portland.
- in realmedia and mpeg (feb 2003).
- Mini-documentary about Gracie's
- An alternative community space in Portland, Oregon comes under the gaze of my camcorder.
- The 48-hour Movie and Somewhat Rapid Movie Projects
- Collective, nonhierarchic filmmaking efforts that I took part in, during May and December of 2003. I helped to create a documentary about the process of doing one of these projects.
Selected Older Artistic/Experimental Works:
Documentation of Live Performances:
- Nexus-6, a short meditation on the coming War. (2003)
- in quicktime (sorenson) and
- Punish Instead of Prevent (1997)
- Excerpt from video produced for "Off The Streets".
- Return of the King (1995)
- Requiem for (Un)Dead Popstars - Finale (1995)
- 2 sections of a 30-minute multimedia performance piece called Requiem for
(Un)Dead Popstars which I completed in the Spring of 1995.
- "trailer" (2001)
- A short clip
summarizing what my live performances look and sound like.
This is in mpeg format so even unix users with no quicktime support should be able to play this. (about 8.5Mbytes)
- Hello My Darling Patpong Road (2001)
- Live piece performed at the Big Sur Experimental Music Festival, May 2001.
- Syntagm Engine Beta Test (2000)
- First live use of the Syntagm Engine, custom linux software for improvised sound collage.
back to steev home page