[Rumori] Ward new single out!

David david at locarecords.com
Mon Aug 16 15:07:53 PDT 2004

Review of UK Based Electronica Duo WARD's New Single

Ward ‘De Fernius’ (Static Caravan). [VAN64]

Last time we featured those Ward kids Richard and David was when they
knocked us bandy with their debut Static release from about 18 months
ago entitled ‘Sesquipadelian Origins’ and before you ask, no we haven’t
a clue either but you can bet your life savings it doesn’t go well with
chips and ketchup. Since that time they’ve squeezed out an album for
Loca Records called ‘It’s not necessarily your height it could be your
feet’ which we somehow missed but will no doubt add to our never ending
wish list of releases we won’t sleep until we have. Again as with the
Young Barons release another lathe cut clear vinyl polycarbonate
thingummyjig type er…thing (huh and they say the art of the English
language is going for a burden). Ward step in with two tracks of such
contrasting calibre that you’ll either be gently lulled to sleep or
frankly to scared witless to close both your eyes at the same time ever
again. ‘De Furnius’ is creepy, in fact so creepy that we reckon it’ll
ensure that you’ll be leaving on all the household lights and nervously
checking behind doors, under beds and behind sofas. Casting an eerie
eye; in fact the same eerie eye as those belonging to the one eyed
alien invaders with a predilection (not) to influenza from War of the
Worlds, sparse manipulated sounds are the order of the day, impossible
to dance to we’ve tried believe it or not, though don’t be surprised if
various electronic appliances start acting up strangely. If you want my
honest opinion I swear its one of those pornographic sex lines for
toasters but in binary code. Flip over and things get a little more
playful on ‘Armonica or Something’ in fact so playful that you swear
the Ward duo have discovered the enchanted land were all the old
children’s TV themes go to when they’ve been discarded and forgotten.
Amid the gentle scratchy toy box chimes the fleeting memories of Jamie
and his Magic Torch, the Clangers, those surreal Charley Says adverts
from the 70’s and a positive who’s who of BBC Radiophonic incidental
pieces found lying around on the Tardis floor come out into the
daylight for a spot of off ground tick. Very cute indeed and well worth
annoying your local record emporium owner about. While your there also
check out the latest line from the Static Summer Collection by Tuung
(limited lathe cut): a delicious cork sleeved Maps and Diagram CD
strictly limited to just 100 pressings and a split featuring the Static
boys in a face off with those eminent dudes from north of the border,
Fence. www.staticcaravan.org

http://www.staticcaravan.org

http://www.losingtoday.com/tales.php