[Rumori] re: Songwriters Say Piracy Eats Into Their Pay

Samuel Carey discosammy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 12:04:26 PST 2004

not to split hairs, but most artists make their money off touring, not cd sales...

kurt cobain made a paltry amount of Nevermind sales... talks about income always remind me of  an interview with him from Rolling Stone... published between August 2003 and August 2004?

I guess it really doesn't illustrate the point as well as I hoped... but hardly any of the money from CD sales gets to the artist...

RS: People usually assume that someone who has sold a few million records is really livin' large. How rich are you? How rich do you feel? According to one story, you wanted to buy a new house and put a home studio in it, but your accountant said you couldn't afford it.
KC:Yeah, I can't. I just got a check a while ago for some royalties for Nevermind, which is pretty good size. It's pretty weird, though really weird. When we were selling a lot of records during Nevermind, I thought, "God, I'm gonna have like $10 million, $15 million." That's not the case. We do not live large. I still eat Kraft macaroni and cheese -- because I like it. I'm used to it. We're not extravagant people.
I don't blame any kid for thinking that a person who sells 10 million records is a millionaire and set for the rest of his life. But it's not the case. I spent a million dollars last year, and I have no idea how I did it. Really. I bought a house for $400,000. Taxes were another $300,000-something. What else? I lent my mom some money. I bought a car. That was about it.
RS: You don't have much to show for that million.
KC: It's surprising. One of the biggest reasons we didn't go on tour when Nevermind was really big in the States was because I thought: "Fuck this, why should I go on tour? I have this chronic stomach pain, I may die on this tour, I'm selling a lot of records, I can live the rest of my life off a million dollars." But there's no point in even trying to explain that to a 15-year-old kid. I never would have believed it.

David meme <david at locarecords.com> wrote:

That is how musicians make money - from CD sales.

For the best selection of pre-owned septic tanks visit:

Mediatronic Research Laboratory