[Rumori] re: Songwriters Say Piracy Eats Into Their Pay

Samuel Carey discosammy at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 13:06:18 PST 2004

- Making music is not expensive at all, Marketing and recording in a high-time studio is rather expensive.

- I'd rather do my own filtering...

i think part of the problem is "Labels" is too broad of a term... Major and indie labels have as many differences as shared ideas...

On a personal note... if People Like Us didn't have a website with tunes for free, I'd never have gone to the show at the Walker in Minneapolis, MN a few years back and the purchase of a cd...  so at least in my case, free downloads led directly dollars... and i brought two friends to the show as well...

I don't deny that something is happening with music and certainly the
tectonic plates of the industry are shifting but you fail to understand
that labels perform a very useful filtering process (not perfect by any
means I'll grant you) but at least it removes 90% of the crap. And some
labels are very experimental ( http://www.staticcaravan.org/ ) We need
to replace the old system which had become corrupt but the new *has* to
give musicians an income, surely!

Making music is very very very expensive to do.

For the best selection of pre-owned septic tanks visit:

Mediatronic Research Laboratory