[Rumori] L.A. Times - When copyright law meets the 'mash-up'

Vályi Gábor valyi at mokk.bme.hu
Thu Mar 25 12:03:03 PST 2004

Dear Rumori folks,

i'm relatively new to this list and was reading for a while before saying
something dumb.
 I haven't seen anyone on the list commenting on MTV Mash yet, not even this
LA Times journo.
Maybe I've missed it, maybe it's because it's on European MTV mutations
only.

Anyway: the show is a short programme weekly, offering mash ups of hit
videos (pink vs the cure). I wonder if they ask for permission/clear
copyrights.

The thing I find interesting about it is that a part of music industry is
jumping on the Mash Up bandwagon. Of course capitalist cultural production
was always keen on incorporating (or for you leftists exploit) hip / cool /
underground subcultures. Now they do it again (the show usually features
short interviews with mash up djs + reports from mash up parties), but it is
when pop eats its masters: even MTV promotes the idea of the Mash Up  as a
popular art form implicitly encouraging people to infringe copyright. They
also organize MTV Mash parties europwide with motorola as their main
sponsor.

Is it the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end?

:)

(for more info: http://mtvmash.mtv.co.uk/mtvmash/)

BTW I'm a PhD student in Budapest, Hungary studying musical sampling from a
Cultural Studies perspective. Nice to be with you people!

Gabor