[Rumori] BBC to put its entire archive online

Rick Prelinger footage at panix.com
Tue Aug 26 12:59:05 PDT 2003

The archival field desperately needs examples like this.  It is
astonishing, ten years after the Internet went mainstream, that so
little moving image material is available online.  Archives
classically focus on preservation and access.  Preservation typically
means either cold/dry storage or copying film to new film, videotape
to new videotape.  Access until recently has meant letting
researchers come in and watch material in house, doing rare public
screenings, or making DVD deals.  It hasn't meant access TO everyone
FOR whatever projects they may have.  It certainly hasn't meant using
our incredible online infrastructure to distribute digital files to
one and all for reuse.

Most archivists are incredibly protective of the materials they've
collected, not to mention protective of copyrights (which may
"belong" to entities that are long gone).  There is a strong sense
that letting out too much material with too little regulation will
cause archives to "lose control" over their collections.  I'd say
they've already lost control, if their mission is to control rather
than to propagate.  Archives are justified by use.  If archives don't
open up quickly, people will lose interest in banging on their doors,
and they'll morph into anachronistic institutions, as vibrant and
cutting edge as your county art museum.

This is a rant because I'm writing a piece about this right now, and
working myself into a frenzy --

Rick